History of St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church


St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church was founded in 1908 when a group, who belonged to the Church of England in the Bahamas, came to the U.S. seeking a better life.  They settled in Delray Beach, Florida (then known as Linton, Florida). 

They realized a need to establish an Episcopal Church where they could worship Christ in their usual manner.

St. Matthew’s was organized by this group from the Bahamas and named it after their church in Nassau—St. Matthew’s.  The group organizers were:  Melvin Finley, Thomas Gray, George Armstrong, and Frank Russell.  Others were Ernest and Marion Clark, Ezekiel and Beatrice Rolle, Horatio Brady, Edmund Bain, James “Tolly” Johnson, Christana Gray, Althia Brady, and Susan Russell.

The first church service was held in the home of Ernest and Marion Clark.

The original church building was constructed in 1911 and destroyed by the 1926 Hurricane.

The new church building, presently at 404 SW 3rd Avenue, was completed in 1929.

Over the years, St. Matthew’s has had many rectors, priests, and associates, who along with the Vestry have made all of the important decisions for the benefit of the parish.  The current Priest-in-Charge is a Delray Beach native, The Reverend Marcia M. Beam.